雪夜读书
Thursday, June 20, 2013
  Windows 8 sucks
I have a D-Link DNS-320. Also I have a Windows 8 laptop. Both of them have been there for very long time, and they are not talking with each other, because I always use Linux. Then today I need to use Windows to access the files on the DNS-320 box.

Well, the story begins.

First, there's no start button in Windows 8. In the old days, what you want to do is just click the start button, and input \\hostname\sharename, and voila! But how am I going to do with Windows 8?

There is a File Exploder button (whatever you call it). And when you click it, it shows something. I say something, because I really don't understand what it really is. For example, under the "Homegroup" category, there's a user. What does that mean? What is "Homegroup"? I assume it is something like the workgroup name. Then in this case, shouldn't the sub-items be hostnames?

Actually after waisting 3 hours I finally figured out it is some quasi proprietary protocol. A combination of Bonjour, DNLA ..., which totally doesn't work for me.

Of course I search the Internet. There's plenty of tutorials, and all of them are not applicable. Basically what they say is, click the File exploder button, go to the Window that I am already at, and the server should readily appear under the "Network" category.

They are lying! Windows 8 can NEVER automatically discover my DNS-320 box. I will say that again. Windows 8 can *NEVER* find my nas box!

It is purely by chance that I finally find out how to configure it.

click "file exploder", scroll to "Network", right click it, click "Map network drive", there should be a dialogue. Then click the link which reads "connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures". There should be a wizard come out. Click next, and fill the "Internet and network address"

OK, Microsoft, you really do a good job. What a fun of Windows 8. Tons of "Guess what I am thinking" quiz.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives
September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / October 2011 / January 2012 / June 2013 / December 2013 / October 2014 / June 2015 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]